The Charlemont Historical Society collection includes many handwritten documents that were created between the early 1800s and the mid-1900s. In order to make these documents more accessible for genealogists and other researchers, we are launching a online transcription project — and we need your help! Even if you only have a few minutes to spare, you can be a volunteer on this important project.
Here’s how to get started:
- Please go to FromThePage, a website where we have uploaded images of handwritten documents from the Charlemont Historical Society that need to be transcribed.
- Look at the upper right-hand corner of the homepage for the words “Sign In.” Click these words and follow the instructions for registering as a new user. (This step just involves setting up a username and password.) Sign in with your new credentials.
- Go back to the homepage and click on “Collections.”
- Scroll down through a list of other transcription projects until you see “Charlemont Historical Society.” Click on our name.
- Click on the name of a document you would like to help transcribe.
- Some documents will have more than one page. Pages that have not been transcribed yet will be marked with this message: “This page is not transcribed, please help transcribe this page.” Click on a page that has not been transcribed yet.
- You will be taken to a page that has two parts. On the left, you will see an image of the document to be transcribed. On the right, you will see a box with a link that says “This page is not transcribed. Please help transcribe this page or mark the page blank.” Click the transcription link.
- Start typing the words you see on the original document into the box on the right-hand side of the screen.
- When you have typed everything on the page, click the “Save Changes” button. That’s it!
Right now, we just have a few documents available to transcribe, but we will be adding new material regularly over the next few weeks. If you have any questions about this project or need assistance using the transcription website, please be in touch! Thank you for your help!